By Annie Trimber, @annietrimber
This Mardi Gras we are upping the snack game with these insane Shrimp & Crispy Fried Grits Bites! We took a classic comfort food dish, gave it a fun appetizer twist, and the result is bite-size heaven that pairs perfectly with an ice cold Hi-Fi Hops Tuner from Lagunitas and ABX. With 5mg THC and 5mg CBD per bottle, you can expect a delightfully balanced high that is only elevated by delicious food!
If you’re a fan of shrimp and grits, you’re definitely going to enjoy this new take on a classic combo! But then again, can you really go wrong by deep frying your favorite food? The best part is how versatile this recipe is, making it easy to adapt to include those with dietary restrictions If you happen to be gluten-free or dairy-free, you can still enjoy Shrimp & Crispy Fried Grits bites by using vegan butter, vegan cheese, and gluten-free flour and breadcrumbs.
Enjoy the celebration with a full belly and relaxed vibe!
Shrimp & Crispy Fried Grits Bites with ABX and Lagunitas Hi-Fi Hops Tuner
Makes 7 servings
For the grits
For the shrimp
1. Bring water and broth to a boil in a saucepan. Once boiling, add salt, pepper, and grits. Turn heat to low, and cook for 20-25 minutes uncovered, stirring frequently.
2. Add butter and shredded cheese to grits. Stir together until butter and cheese are melted.
3. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Transfer grits mixture to loaf pan and spread evenly with a spatula. Place in the fridge and let cool for 2 hours, or overnight.
4. Slice chilled grits into small squares. Let the grits squares chill in the freezer while you prepare the shrimp.
5. Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add chopped bacon and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to a plate lined with a paper towel. Leave the grease in the pan.
6. Add shrimp to the pan and cook for 2 minutes on each side, or until shrimp turns pink.
7. Add Cajun seasoning, minced garlic, broth, and butter to the pan. Toss shrimp in sauce. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the sauce thickens a bit.
8. To bread our grits squares, coat in flour, then egg, and finally breadcrumbs.
9. Heat avocado oil in a deep pan for frying your grits bites. Once hot, place breaded grits in oil. Fry for ~2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
10. When done, remove to a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb the grease.
11. Assemble your bites: place shrimp on a grits square and secure it with a toothpick. Drizzle sauce over shrimp, and garnish with green onion and parsley.